Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 14: Balloon Fiesta!

Fall is my favorite time of year for so many reasons, but in ABQ fall also means....Balloon Fiesta!  Hot air balloonists come from all over the globe for one week out of the year to fly their balloons in Albuquerque's ideal conditions. The mass ascension happens each morning on the weekends - every balloon participating in the fiesta launches in waves.  Hundreds hot air balloons, all flying at once. It might be the coolest thing I have ever seen.

The best part is that you can walk amongst the balloons as they are preparing to take off/inflating, talk to the pilots and get up close and personal to the balloons and crew as they launch.

The worst part is that this happens at the crack of dawn.  I am not even close to a morning person, but it's worth waking up at 5 am...to get us out the door by 6am...to get through the traffic and to the park by 7am....one day out of the year.  The sun was just coming up as we arrived.


As soon as we entered the park, we were lucky enough to see the Darth Vader balloon take off.

That's me and the baby.  I purposely have him turned away from the ice cream cone balloon.  We didn't need any unfortunate bite marks to ruin the morning. 


And here's the other two.  Just giddy.  Can you blame them?

We're so glad we caught the last day of the fiesta on such a perfect day!   We followed up the balloons with a hot meal at our favorite breakfast spot (Weck's), then church, then home for naps.  All of us.


"So that's neat, but what does that have to do with the 31 day "Working With What You Have" series", right? 

Well, my laptop has had some issues.  My battery wouldn't take a charge, so I had to plug in the computer to use it.  Then tonight the power adapter cord broke.  No laptop meant no access to my pictures for the blog, Photoshop tools, drafts/documents, etc.  But what I did have was access to a few pics from this morning's adventures.  So I'm working with that!   

And of course, earlier today I was thinking about how long it's been since I last backed up my files.  At least the power cord should be an easy item to replace.  I have SO many more pictures of the balloon fiesta to share, including tons of "special shape balloons" like the Wells Fargo stagecoach balloon above.  As soon as I'm up and running with my laptop again, I'll be posting them all over on our family blog. 

Hope you all had a great weekend!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. We were going to go on Saturday or Sunday again but I think kids enjoyed driving hunting/chasing Balloons than getting up that Early on Thursday! BTW....cozy outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you and those sweet kids! Can't wait to see the rest of the photos!

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Your comments completely make my day! I'm literally grinning ear to ear whenever you take a minute to leave a note! Except spam. Not grinning over that. Or straight up mean. Not grinning over that either. We love a good open discussion but please save anything that's not constructive for someplace else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...